St Leonard’s Church, Woodcote – Church History
The Victorian Building
This pretty village church was rebuilt in flint in 1845-6 at a cost of £1,108 at the instigation of the Revd. Philip Nind to the design of Mr Underwood of Oxford. Some of the original external walls of the chancel and apse may have been incorporated into the new building. The Bishop of Oxford, ‘Soapy Sam’ Wilberforce, preached at the reconsecration in April 1846.
A bell tower in an open western turret contains a bell some 3 inches thick and weighing half a ton. There is a
small neat gallery at the west end of the church, a stone pulpit and font both of which are decorated with illuminated text. Wooden rafters support the roof, bearing shields depicting the four apostles. Just outside the porch is a bowl thought to be a Norman pillar piscina. The churchyard has a peaceful Garden of Remembrance and spring and early summer find the churchyard at its best with a colourful array of flowers flourishing on its grassy slopes.
Church Contact Details:
Contact: Revd Canon Kevin Davies
Church Address: St Leonards Church, South Stoke Road, Woodcote RG8 0PG, UK
Tel: 01491 680252