We are a joyful bunch of seven churches, serving the villages of Checkendon, Ipsden, North Stoke, Stoke Row, Whitchurch on Thames, Whitchurch Hill, and Woodcote.
The 12th Century Church of St Peter and St Paul is a Grade One listed building containing fine examples of Romanesque architecture. It has a deeply prayer-soaked atmosphere, reflecting hundreds of years of Christian worship, and a lively ongoing community of faith.
Tradition has it that the first church in Ipsden was a small chapel on Berins Hill, about 2 miles east of the present church, built by St Birinus when he came from Rome in AD 634 to convert the Saxon peoples of South Oxfordshire.
Uniquely, this church is the only one anywhere on the entire length of the Ridgeway Long Distance Path where the path actually runs through the churchyard.
The story of Christian life in North Stoke begins with the arrival of St Birinus in England in 634.
Before 1848, the hamlet of Stoke Row was part of the parish of Ipsden and North Stoke, though with Ipsden Church being 4 miles away, church attendance from Stoke Row was not very good!
Whitchurch Hill is a village in the Chiltern Hills and is c. 5.5 miles west of Reading. The village has a pretty church which was designed by Francis Bacon in 1883.
The serene setting and stately interior of our present House of Worship rather mask fabric from a more humble predecessor.
Woodcote was originally part of the parish of South Stoke which in the eleventh century was given to Eynsham Abbey and subsequently granted as an endowment to Christ Church Oxford.